Cotton Fabric is popular for clothing for its versatility, comfort & easy care all year round.
Use of cotton was started as early as 5000 BC. Cotton is a soft, fluffy, staple natural fiber grown on a plant. It’s sustainable, renewable, bio-degradable & environment friendly through out its production cycle. It grows in warm climate and spring is the ideal time for sowing seeds. & India is one among the top producer of cotton along with other countries like US, China, Uzbekistan, Brazil & Turkey.
Organic cotton is made from natural seeds without using any kind of pesticides or chemicals. But high use of pesticides poisons air, water & soil which impact ecosystem affecting plants & animals. This also kills beneficial insects in & around the field.
Cotton is also fed to cattle as seed & crushed to make oil used in cooking & making products like soaps, cosmetics, rubber & plastics, few to mention.
Processing of cotton
Cotton in its raw state isn’t naturally strong & needs to be twisted & spun into a strong yarn which can then be woven into cotton cloth.
Cotton plants grow into green bushy shrubs and grow into pink & fruit known as cotton bolls. It grows on bushes that are four to six feet high & its flower last up to a week. Inside each boll there are 6-7 seeds & each seed has as many as twenty thousand fibers.
Ginning stand has rotating saw and its teeth pulls cotton fibers from the seeds as bolls passes through ribs. Along get removed seed, stems, leaves, burns from the fibers. Next fibers are condense into bales.
The actual process of making cloth out of cotton starts at textile mills. Bales are cleaned & loaded into carding machines to get some length. Next fibers are pulled into parallel alignment & converted into soft rope like form by carding & combing operation. Twisting these fibers in sliver with a spinning device turns these fibers into yarn. Yarn is the input for weaving machines to make cloths. Yarns can be weaved into cotton fabric by hand-looms or machines.
This woven cloth is whitish and has natural yellow tint. This grey cloth is subjected to bleach, shrink, dye & print at finishing facility. Thus the cotton cloth is ready to be cut & stitched into sheets, bags or any other products.
Characteristics of Cotton cloths
- Natural & cellulose fiber
- Comfortable to wear
- Absorbs water & breathes
- Resist static electricity built up
- Withstands heat
Bad properties of Cotton cloths and not obvious choice for suits & other professional clothing,
- Slow to dry
- Wrinkles easily
- Heavily absorbs water
- Loosens and shapes out
- Gets damaged by mildew when left damp
- Easily absorbs perspiration & retain them
Selection of cotton cloth for various applications is based on the specific attributes,
- Fiber length & Strength
- Trash percentage area
Uses of cotton cloths
Versatility of cotton cloth makes it usable for wide spectrum of durable,
- Shopping bags, Grocery bags, Vegetable bags
- Tote bags
- Bean bags
- Packaging industry
- Travel bags & accessories
- Garments industry for making wearable for men, women & children
- Kurtas for ladies & gents
How is Cotton different from Polyester
- The most basic difference lies in their origin as cotton is naturally grown & whereas polyester is artificially man-made from petroleum.
- Polyesters are generally more durable and less prone to fading, shrinking & wrinkles as compared to cottons.
- Cotton is more rugged and can withstand runs & pulls for using rough usage as compared to polyester.
- Polyester is less absorbent & dries faster as compared to cotton.
- As polyester is made from petroleum by products, it’s price var with petroleum prices still its less expensive than cotton
- Cotton is made out of natural fibers and bio-degrades very fast which is not to be with polyesters
- Polyesters can be used for waterproof application because of its less absorbent property.
- Cotton is preferred in summer due to its inherent property like absorbent, breathe and cool against skin whereas polyester will have moisture trapped inside.
- Cotton is softer, less abrasive and feels super soft on skin
So the polyester blended with fibers like cotton, linen & wool has it’s advantages over other fabrics.
Because of rough usability of cotton cloth, it’s preferred material for making bags. We can customize cotton bags for logos, company names, text, designs, shapes, quotes, printings. We use high quality material & give strong stitches & zippers for long lasting durable bags. Zippy bags are one of the leading manufacturers, wholesale suppliers & dealers of regular & custom made bags from Bangalore. Our expert team & professional set up is capable of making & executing any bulk order without any delay & comprise on quality. We have suppliers in all major cities of India like Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Tirupur (Tamilnadu), Surat (Gujarat), Delhi, Pune, Mumbai.