A paper bag is a bag made of paper or paperboard. Paper bags are readily recyclable and can be made from recycled papers. Paper is a thin material produced by pressing together moist fibers of cellulose pulp derived from wood, rags & grasses.
History of Paper Bags
In mid 1800’s proper mass production of paper bags was initiated and underwent lots of transformation. In another 50 years paper bags had evolved with proper carrying handles, flat bottoms for standing vertically up, fold-able, printed logos etc and became house hold name at departmental stores & shops.
With time, industrialization & development has increased popularity of plastic bags & replaced brown paper bags significantly and confined their buyers to very few & peculiar places & purposes.
Inputs Required for Making Paper for Bags
Paper is made by using fibers of woods & others inputs as detailed below,
- Primarily wood fibers are used to make paper. These woods are grown specifically & purposely for making paper. Trees like spruce & fir are preferred because of longer cellulose fibers which makes paper stronger. As a result of everyday increasing demand for paper, almost any species of trees can be harvested & made use by using pulp processing technology. Different species of trees are used for particular kind of paper based on usage like flax tree for cigarette paper, cotton & linen for letterheads & certificates,
- The rest of requirement is filled with either or combination of below,
- Wood fibers from saw mills
- Recycled newspapers
- Some vegetable maters
- Recycled clothes
Manufacturing Process of Paper
Steps of making paper are as below,
- Making Pulp
In this mechanical process wooden logs are cleared of barks & then grind between huge revolving slabs to convert wood into pulp. The pulp is filtered of foreign particles and boiled at high pressure in chemical solutions along with wood chips. Once chips dissolves this pulp is again filtered and mixed with bleach & colors.
In this process pulp ready from previous stage is taken into large tub & added with various filler materials & Sizing to obtain the desired paper opacity & properties. This mixture is subjected to machine beaters for pounding & squeezing.
- Filler materials like chalks, clay or few chemicals influence the opacity of paper,
- Sizing additive decides how paper reacts with various inks.
- Pulp to Paper
This process pulp is taken onto automated machines with moving belt of fine mesh screening. The pulp is squeezed & dried while moving along this moving mesh. This partly dried paper is pressed between steam heated cylindrical to remove any balance water.
This dried paper is smoothed & compacted further on metal rollers to impart finish. This may be done in few or more stages. The paper is cut to the desired size.
Uses of Paper
Versatility of paper has made it a popular choice for multiple applications & ample choices are made available in many retail shops across all markets & Online,
- Paper for writing & printing
- Decorating & decorative like color papers, flowers etc.
- Covers & carry bags for groceries like fruits & vegetables
- Shopping bags for cloths, exhibitions etc
- Fancy bags
- Gift wrapping
- Paper for Cleaning
- Industrial use
- Construction purpose
- Return Gifts
Advantages of Paper Material
- Saving energy
- Light weight
- Less expensive / not costlier
- Easily fold-able
Limitations of Paper Material
- Limitation in weight to be carried
- Very Fragile
- Prone to damage
- Easy to get wet
- Size of bag can’t be large
Impact on Environment in Making Paper
- Increased demand of papers & paper bags has resulted in deforestation
- Chemical used in manufacturing are very harmful to environment
- If these chemicals are released in water they disturb water balance & surrounding land
- High Cost of disposal of chemicals & waste in order to keep environment safe
How to make Bags from Papers
It’s very easy to make paper bag but to maintain that precise specifications over & over really requires expertise.
- Select the correct paper type based on the usage
- Cut the paper to the required design & size
- Fold bottom & stick it properly to form edges & bottom
- Similarly fold from sides to give it proper shape & edges
- Fix handles
- Decorate the bag as required
At industry level most of the production is done using automated machines in factories for faster production & neatness. These bags can even be home made as hobby & part time business.
Selecting correct paper type is most critical as this decides the style & life of paper bag. For ex. Using brown craft paper for a plain or simple lunch bag.
Zippy Bags is one of the manufacturers, wholesale suppliers & dealers of all kind of customized bags based out of Bangalore and uses correct & high quality paper according to usage. We have vast experience in making fancy & customized paper bags for uplifting image of a brand & company. Our team of expert designers & technicians can produce the exact design that you have in mind with all possible customization for any bulk order like,
- Paper Density (GSM) or thickness
- Length & Width
- Type of paper
- Single or Multi-color Paper
- Number of folding
- With or without handle
- With logo, Picture, Custom message & quotes
Our manufactured Paper Bags are available near me in all major cities of India like Delhi, Noida, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Nashik, Chennai, Coimbatore, Mumbai.